[Kolab-devel] merge5

Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems) vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com
Fri Oct 8 17:50:53 CEST 2010

Gunnar Wrobel wrote:
> > Define "suddenly" - it would be perfectly acceptable to set 3.0 as the
> > target milestone to not ship this patch with, and start not shipping
> > this patch while
> > we work on 3.0.
>
> If the functionality itself does not get lost and we have an
> alternative I'm fine with doing it in 2.3, too. But concerning the
> functionality that is affected here I'd say "suddenly" would be
> anytime if we don't offer the feature anymore. I consider the feature
> important.

The functionality will - as requested - need to remain to be available. It's
not unreasonable functionality either.

I'm not so much in favor of releasing the changes as part of a Kolab 2.2 or
2.3 product release; Instead, I'm targeting a verdict, a general consensus for
a 3.0 milestone or even just a future milestone beyond that, so that we can
list the things that need to happen in order to satisfy the original requested
functionality.

Part of such things, one could say, are;

- Provide the functionality as intended to work for 3.0, maybe based on 2.3 so
people can get a head start testing,

- Documentation of how this works,

- Documentation on how to move from the old situation to the new situation,

- Deciding on what the default is going to be for this feature,

- Allowing the simple toggling of this option somehow, including all changes
necessary to enable/disable the functionality, and checking of the
implications / restrictions to toggling such options.

Kind regards,

--
Jeroen van Meeuwen
Senior Engineer, Kolab Systems AG