[Kolab-devel] [merge6] Cyrus Imap group patch

Mathieu PARENT mathieuparent at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Oct 2 13:27:40 CEST 2010

(from a discussion on merge6 which is not specific to this merge)
(See https://issues.kolab.org/merge6)

Jeroen van Meeuwen <vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com> added the comment:

> I'm working on such testing as part of a new and improved development, release
> and support process upstream.
>
> Could you please elaborate on your last statement? I found that most of the
> patches Debian ships today -against 2.2- and most that in experimental -2.3,
> are actually not necessary.
[[[The last statement was:
I agree with you that we should drop or upstream all the patches. The cyrus ones
are the more critical for Debian packaging as the require a specific package
instead of using the plain cyrus-2.3
]]]

If we can use the plain cyrus-imapd-2.3 that will be uploaded into
debian (I hope soon), then we will drop kolab-cyrus-imapd. This won't
happen for squeeze and so I won't work on it before squeeze is
released (I'm currently focusing on squeeze).

It is not clear for me if your current work will go to upstream (for
the patches) and to the Debian packaging team (for the debian dir).
Currently it looks like a new branch which is not easily mergeable
(does this word exists?). I hope this will be sorted out soon.

> You can review such at http://git.kolabsys.com/apt/kolab-cyrus-imapd (see
> branch work/cross-platform-consistency)

This branch is based on kolab-cyrus-imapd which will make it hard to
merge in cyrus-imapd-2.3.

I'm sure we agree with the long term goal (speaking of Debian only here):
- merging kolab specific packages into the native packages
- pushing all patches upstream
- keeping best of all distros in Debian
- uploading all those to Debian sid which will then go to ubuntu

As point 2 will probably be the slower one, what roadmap do you
propose to have a merged cyrus-2.3 package for ubuntu 11.4 or debian
wheezy?

--
Mathieu Parent