[Kolab-devel] KEP Draft: Product Versioning

Christoph Wickert wickert at kolabsys.com
Wed Nov 24 02:21:45 CET 2010

On Friday 19 November 2010 01:43:48 Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems) wrote:
> I wanted to document the 'criteria' or 'guidelines' we use for product
> versioning for Kolab Groupware, to both form consensus and provide some
> clarity, so that we may be consistent and transparent in the future
> -largely benefiting our admin users, I hope.
>
> Before we attach a number to it, though, I wanted to quickly poll for any
> early feedback.

Hi Jeroen,

most things look sane. The major.minor.teeny versioning scheme is well
established, however I have a few points that we should discuss:

Concerns:
Major version: I consider your the definitions when to bump the major version
too strict. Given this set of definitions, we would already have Kolab 10 or
something, which from a user's POV is not much different from Kolab 6. Let's
not follow the Chrome or Opera madness, because Kolab 42 sounds really weird.

Native packages: I think we should/need to honor the requirements of the
distributions and their tools. This beeing said we should not apply a
Fedora/RHEL scheme to Debian/Ubuntu, even if it may work. We should rather use
~ to indicate pre-releases and + for post release

Questions:
Exceptions for Unstable Bug-fix Releases: x.y.z-rc1 should be x.y.z.rc1,
right? You are mixing delimiters here and I wonder what would be the
counterpart of x.y.z-rc1 in native packaging.

Exceptions for Unstable Bug-fix Releases: 2.3.1.0 would be a final (=tested)
bugfix release of 2.3.1?

Suggestion:
Pre-releases: Instead of leaving out the teeny 0 for a prerelease of that
version, we should use te usual major.minor.teeny versioning even for pre-
releases, but with a high teeny. Example:
2.2.0
2.2.1, 2.2.2, ... bugfix releases
2.2.90 (Alpha of 2.3)
2.2.91 (Beta of 2.3)