[Kolab-devel] [Kde-pim] Heads-up: Two changes to the Kolab format that are going to affect KDE PIM

David Jarvie djarvie at kde.org
Wed Nov 17 17:59:08 CET 2010

On Wed, November 17, 2010 12:17 pm, Georg C. F. Greve wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> There are two changes to the Kolab storage format in the final stages of
> the
> pipeline that are going to affect KDE PIM, as well as any other Kolab
> client.
>
> So I wanted to make sure this has not flown through under the radar.
>
> The relevant mails & descriptions can be found here:
>
>  KEP 2: Modification of datetime type, introduction of 'tz' sub-tag
>   http://kolab.org/pipermail/kolab-format/2010-November/001036.html

I'm not sure that the Smart Upgrade Option is a good idea. If a client
performs the smart upgrade, the recurrence will appear to have been
created by a client using the new format, but if the smart upgrade
assumptions are wrong (i.e. the time zone is not the local time zone), the
recurrence times will be wrong. If it was left in the old format, so that
clients can recognise that it doesn't have a specified time zone, it would
then be open to the client (or another client) subsequently accessing the
same calendar data to present the recurrence to the user as being
uncertain.

I think that only the user should be able to definitively specify the time
zone when it's not already in the calendar. The client shouldn't do this
without asking the user, since no information is lost by not asking.

--
David Jarvie.
KDE developer.