[Kolab-devel] Switching the Kolab server to GIT?

Christoph Wickert wickert at kolabsys.com
Fri Nov 12 18:18:06 CET 2010

On Friday 12 November 2010 17:58:10 Christoph Wickert wrote:

> My proposal is to do another switch and move to GIT. Why that?

Ah, and while we are at it, we should also:

* Separate the repo into smaller repositories. For example, the Server and the
Webcient should be separated, same goes for the webadmin. Details of the new
repo layout are of course subject so further discussion.

* Sourcecode and packaging should be separated completely. The mixture of both
made people do weird things like comitting patches that afect both. By
separating this we wil lmake it easier for the distributions to package Kolab.
We have already been working on that and need to continue the work.

All of these are just suggestions, and we should discuss them once we have
made a decision about the SCM. I'm just mentioning this now because we should
do several things in one step because splitting will also cause a rewrite of
the history anyway.

Regards,
Christoph

--