[Kolab-devel] zpush: name of the annotation

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Tue Mar 30 13:26:16 CEST 2010

Quoting Mathieu Parent <math.parent at gmail.com>:

> Hi,
>
> You probably already know this, but Horde4 will include ActiveSync
> support (using z-push). See http://theupstairsroom.com/100 and
> http://wiki.horde.org/Project/ActiveSync
>
> The discussion of this current thread may be related.

I would say only in part. For the Kolab Server the implementation
Alain is working on will definitely be the first implementation
available.

If we will use the Horde 4 variant at some point is still open.

Maybe I should provide some background information:

The Z-Push code base from Zarafa is not exactly clean PHP code. It is
better than our Kolab web admin code, it is worse than Horde code and
it is horrible in comparison to how current PHP code can look like.
But you can safely put that aside and simply say one thing: It works.
And that is what counts right now.

The Horde ActiveSync project was something Micheal started during
christmas holidays last year. He simply wanted to sync his phone,
looked at the Z-Push code, said "oh no" and started refactoring away
to integrate the code into Horde.

At some point I started communicating with both the guys from Zarafa
and Michael to see if it would not be possible to find some common
ground. Because the refactoring done by Micheal is bound to loose
knowledge from the code build by Zarafa. While Zarafa might be able to
benefit from the code quality improvements. This was however a dead
end and while both sides had some interest nothing happened in the end.

The Horde_ActiveSync branch has recently been merged to the Horde
master branch and will probably see some testing by the community in
the future. But I assume it still takes some time until that reaches
production quality.

So I would currently postpone any thoughts about how to deal with
Horde_ActiveSync to a later point in time.

Cheers,

Gunnar