[Kolab-devel] zpush: name of the annotation

Georg C. F. Greve greve at kolabsys.com
Thu Mar 25 18:51:08 CET 2010

On Thursday 25 March 2010 18:21:00 Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> You did agree to the notion before that the default cannot be YES:

You misunderstood what was written.

That was about shared folders, not a users' own folders.

> Then we can do it the other ways around:
> Existance of the annotation means: The folder can get synced,
> unless the device is listed as explicit value.
> [...]

This is getting more and more complicated, and for no obvious reason.

I would suggest to stick with the simple approach that was suggested by Alain:
A private (so user specific) annotation per folder that can carry

	(a) the default value for this folder
	(b) deviations for the default for this folder by phone

If the annotation does not exist, the default is YES for folders in the
namespace of the user (INBOX/*) and NO for all other folders.

If a device needs special settings, that can be defined as part of the device
specific settings. Administration will take place over the web admin interface
by default, Gunnar already said that this kind of structure would be easy to
implement - in the area of one day.

The only open question is where we get the device serial number from for the
configuration, as we do not want the user to have to enter this - in fact we
would prefer to have a better representation of the phone than its serial
number in the user interface, if possible.

So if you seek to solve a riddle, this would would be worthwhile.

Best regards,
Georg

--
Georg C. F. Greve