[Kolab-devel] Strange behavior with ICal snychronisation Kolab 2.2.3

ComCept Soliva soliva at comcept.ch
Mon Mar 22 23:43:15 CET 2010

Hi all

Following feedback from a test which I did with a MAC and ICal functionality
using Kolab 2.2.3. I configured a ICal Kalender with the name of the user
account and with the URL:

https://[host}/client/rpc.php/kronolith/[Kolab User ID]

After the configuration I announced the configured Calender within ICal to
the Kolab server and each entry of the calender was "put" to the related
account on the Kolab server. After successful "announcement" we checked over
Horde if all events was put correct to the users account and we can confirm
this. In the first view everything was looking perfect. After more tests we
noticed following:

- Within every announcement or/and actualization of the related Calender
within ICal the request is deleting EVERY Calender entry and "put's" every
entry again to the Kolab server (no synch only a "delete all" as afterwards
a "put again all"). Why is the stuff not synched and instead every time
deleted and from scratch "put" again to the server?

- Another issue we recognized is, if the users launches within ICal the
announcement and if you have more as - lets say 50 entry - ICal will give
back an Error telling that the announcement was not successfull but in the
background all data is "put" correctly (except that everything is again
first of all "deleted" and afterwards from scratch again "put" to the Kolab
server). It seems that ICal goes in a timeout and and Kolab works straight
ahead in the background?

- I looked to the flat files on the Kolab Server and the format I see there
is similar to a Mail entry (Imap entry) meaning the stuff is in kolab.xml
format and everything seems to be fine as it must be.

- Is this something which is supported or did I try something which is not
visible on was not planed?

The main issue here is really that everytime a calender entry changes or
whatever that the process will delete EVERYTHING within the Calender on the
Kolab server and put afterwards again EVERYTHING on the server. From
performance etc. reasons this is ugly and not really that what should be
or.....?

- Within Snow Leopard 10.6 -if I'm correctly informed - Apple remove the
WebDAV functionality within ICal (they want that .MAC is used to earn $). I
know there is a hack to be again able to use WebDAV but if I'm correct Kolab
does not support WebDAV in this way that the stuff is afterwards available
within Horde etc. correct?

Sorry many questions but at the moment I'm a little bit confiused and not
understanding the behavior specially because from scratch it would work if
this case with DELETE all first and afterwards put again all on the server
wouldn't be. Can you please give me quick a feedback if I did something
false or did understand something false? Wihtin the logs I did not noticed
something special.

Kind regards

Andrea Soliva

Mail: soliva at comcept.ch