[Kolab-devel] Completing ActiveSync integration in Kolab, and a request for input on IMAP annotatemore extensions

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Mon Mar 22 17:43:56 CET 2010

Am Montag, 22. März 2010 16:32:29 schrieb Georg C. F. Greve:
> On Monday 22 March 2010 14:28:20 Gunnar Wrobel wrote:
> > > That is why the conclusion has been to put this into a private extended
> > > annotation.
> >
> > Concerning IMAP the annotations are of course not the only storage
> > space available. I would consider the folder contents to be a much
> > more appropriate storage space.
>
> Ah, yes.
>
> Configuration management & storage in Kolab for third party integration.

This has been a long debate for a while, because there are not a lot IMAP
servers out there that implement annotations in full bloom. So if you just
have an imap server, it is harder to use as Kolab Calender folder.
Using a special object would change that.

Also the question is: One person has several clients (all Kolab clients)
and would want to keep parts of the configuration for some of them and some
for all of them. How should Kolab model that in the future.
Doing special objects in the folder would be one way, but this does not solve
all problems. Especially it is not clear where the configuration for
clients * folder shall go to.
The Cyrus people experimented with a few more protocols in addition to IMAP,
but gave up on that.

> > As we are adding the second annotation of this type now I feel we
> > should indeed tackle the configuration topic again in the near future.

I think we either have more annotations like this or it is the first.
So which one are you thinking about?

> Agreed. We might want to start collecting thoughts on this soon.
>
> For the moment however we should think about how to make the extended
> annotation storage work reliably as expected. Help for this would be most
> appreciated.

Given the change of implementations on the server side we probably need to
evaluate what we want to do on the client side. Another topic for
kolab-format@ IMO.

Bernhard

Deputy Coordinator Germany: fsfe.org. Board member: www.kolabsys.com.