[Kolab-devel] Do we need all these perl modules?

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Mon Mar 22 15:58:06 CET 2010

Quoting Jeroen van Meeuwen <kanarip at kanarip.com>:

> "Christoph Wickert" <christoph.wickert at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> I've noticed that the Kolab perl-* packages contain a lot of perl
>> modules each, some of them up to 70 modules. Are all these modules
>> really needed or did soneone just take the open-pkg packages because
>> they were already available?
>>

> As a side-note question; are Christoph and I going to have to make
> available cross-distro all the packages included in the OpenPKG
> version of Kolab packages, and if so, is that:
>
> - because of OpenPKG, or
> - because they are all dependencies of Kolab?
>
> For more details on the background of this question, please see
> http://wiki.kolab.org/index.php/User:Kanarip/Package_Dependencies

Your goal is to get the Kolab server running on Fedora, right? I don't
see any reason why you would need to look at any packages far down in
the dependency hierarchy when transferring from OpenPKG to Fedora.
Each distro has it's own packaging concepts and not all of them match.
So some packages will be present in some distros and will not make
much sense in others.

In order to get a native install of the Kolab server you only need to
identify the top level components that make a kolab server a kolab
server and ensure that you get the dependencies of these components
right.

Taking the perl-packages as an example: I don't think it is necessary
to analyze the OpenPKG perl packages in detail. The Kolab server has
only one perl-package that is important: perl-kolab. Once you know
it's dependencies you should be fine. At least as long as your chosen
distro supports all of the required dependencies. Otherwise you need
to fill the missing gaps. But assuming all dependencies are available
you should be fine to allow your distros packaging system to handle
the dependencies down to the bottom.

Does that answer your question or did I somehow misunderstand it?

Cheers,

Gunnar