[Kolab-devel] Completing ActiveSync integration in Kolab, and a request for input on IMAP annotatemore extensions

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Mon Mar 22 14:28:20 CET 2010

Quoting "Georg C. F. Greve" <greve at kolabsys.com>:

> On Monday 22 March 2010 13:15:22 Bernhard Reiter wrote:
>> While the protocol is activesync, I wonder if using a more generic name
>> would be have an advantage.
>
> Other protocols would likely want to store different metadata, or at least in
> different format. Since we would then be in a namespace conflict, this seemed
> like the right abstraction level.
>

>> We possibly have to make this more complicated.
>> Note that anyone could just give you an ACL on a folder, so if the default
>> is "yes", this means I can just spam your appointments by giving you a
>>  folder that immedeately gets synced. So a default of NO seems to be the
>>  better solution. Or something like YES for folders where in my personal
>>  namespace and NO for all others.
>
> Agreed.
>

>> Is the serial number unique?
>
> AFAWK, Yes.
>

>> If I think about having two or more devices, is there a way to make that a
>> client configuration option?
>
> The current configuration layout allows to have as many devices as you want,
> and individually set your synchronisation preferences for each of them.
>

>> Arg, this brings me back to the much debated question of where should
>>  client configuration go so. We never had a good conclusion on this one as
>>  far as I remember.
>
> There are two places where this information can logically go: LDAP & IMAP.

Correct.

> LDAP has been excluded for a wide variety of reasons which Thomas and Sascha
> can highlight again if you feel the need to go through the motions one more
> time.

+1

> That is why the conclusion has been to put this into a private extended
> annotation.

Concerning IMAP the annotations are of course not the only storage
space available. I would consider the folder contents to be a much
more appropriate storage space.

For small configuration values as you describe them the approach may
work. So I'm not saying we shouldn't use this approach for Z-Push now.
It might be difficult to find a common ground concerning the
configuration format in time for the desired delivery date for a
working Z-Push solution on the Kolab server.

The main problem I see with using annotations is the fact that they
are not meant to be used as a generic data storage element. The have a
fixed string length. So once you start storing data such as

<BOOL>[;<SERIAL NO>:<BOOL>[;<SERIAL NO>:<BOOL>[...]]]

this hits a limit at some point. Concerning ActiveSync this might play
no role as you can probably still store hundreds of devices in the
annotation.

But from the purist point of view I would say it smells :)

As we are adding the second annotation of this type now I feel we
should indeed tackle the configuration topic again in the near future.

Cheers,

Gunnar