[Kolab-devel] Yet another Introduction (was Re: Introduction)

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 16 16:51:11 CET 2010

After Jeroen was so kind to introduce himself, I'd like to do the same.
Here we go:

My Name is Christoph Wickert, I'm 34 years old and currently working as
self employed IT consultant at Münster, Germany. Yes, I'm German, but
no, I'm not going to apologize for that. ;)

Like Jereon I'm a Fedora packager too. Fore more info about my work on
Fedora, see [¹]. Before I joined Fedora, I used Debian and did some
packaging there too. I hate installing anything from source and whatever
gets installed on any of my systems gets installed with proper package
management.

While we are at it: OpenPKG is NOT what I'd call proper package
management and install-kolab.sh is even worse. That's why I will work
with Jeroen on providing native packages.

There are quite a lot of packages floating around at the moment and FWIW
many of them are not needed. Instead of maintaining custom packages we
should focus on upstreaming our changes. I know it will be a lot of work
and well take some time, but I'm convinced that it will pay off in long
term.

While Jeroen is more the build system wizard and the genius, I'm more
the pedantic packager. I apologize for being boring and pedantic but I
can't help it: Remember, I'm German. I want to enforce higher packaging
quality and I hope we manage to do this without to much pain for
everyone involved.

I'm looking forward to work with all of you to get kolab into Fedora and
RHEL and to improve the Debian packages.

Have fun,
Christoph

[¹] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Cwickert