[Kolab-devel] [issue4473] Kolab web interface (horde) prohibits passwords with 9+ chars

Gavin McCullagh issues at kolab.org
Fri Jul 16 12:56:05 CEST 2010

New submission from Gavin McCullagh <gavin.mccullagh at gcd.ie>:

further to conversation on kolab-users, I consider it a bug to force users to
restrict their passwords to 8 characters.

/kolab/var/kolab/www/client/passwd/config/backends.php

password policy' => array(
        'minLength' => 3,
        'maxLength' => 8   ),

This restriction can be used by dictionary attackers who identify a kolab
server.  They know for sure that no password is longer than 8 chars and can be
as short as 3.

It is also bad practice in general (at least in my opinion) to encourage use of
short passwords.

I suggest the defaults be changed to a more sensible range like (7,25)

Gavin

messages: 25755
nosy: gavinmc
status: unread
title: Kolab web interface (horde) prohibits passwords with 9+ chars