[Kolab-devel] Kolab_Format

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at horde.org
Fri Dec 10 20:49:29 CET 2010

Hi Alexander,

Zitat von Alexander Haensch <weimin at ipc.uni-tuebingen.de>:

> We deployed the Kolab Server successfully here in our working group. We
> are quite happy with its solid architecture.

That sound great ;)

> We migrated a few mailusers to the server and copied our shared-contacts
> folders to a Kolab folder with the bynari connector.
> Unfortunatly Horde is not able to view the big adressbook (1900 entries).
> For viewing this adressbook in horde, we had to increase the
> memory_limit in /kolab/etc/kolab/templates/php.ini.template .

Probably depends on the size of the entries but memory consumption is
an area where Kolab_Storage as well as Kolab_Format still need to
improve.

> As we are using a CRM system with thousands of contacts we want to bring
> them to a Kolab shared folder. It is planned to implement this task as a
> daily cronjob.
> At the moment we are trying to use Horde_Kolab_Format (from PEAR /
> version 1.0.2 ) to generate the kolab.xml file.
> That part runs fine until we copy the kolab.xml the the imap with phps
> imap_append function.

Hm, this is something you should probably use Kolab_Storage for rather
than Kolab_Format. Kolab_Storage includes the IMAP handling.

> At the actual state, the contact entry  is recognized by the bynari
> connector, but not by horde.

I guess this relates to the mail structure. Do you see in the log file
what might be causing this?

> Questions:
> 1) Is it possible to use some part of Horde for uploading a email with
> attachment to the server?

Not without a lot of scripting (which you just started). I'm currently
actively working on the Horde4 libraries and just today started a
command line interface for Kolab_Format. Depending on when you want
you to have your task complete you could use this. But I don't expect
this to be completed before the end of January.

Needless to mention that I can also be contracted to speed some parts
up or provide a rough toolset for the Horde3 libraries.

> 2) Is the syntax of "Horde_Kolab_Format" is going to be changed in the
> future?

Not significantly. I extracted the class construction into a factory
today but I don't expect the load() and save() functions to change.

> 3) What is a healthy contact-folder size (measured in entries)? Does it
> make sense to keep all contacts in one folder?

I think the desired "healthy size" is 10.000 entries. But I know this
is already pushing at the Horde boundaries. When I rework part of the
Kolab_* libraries for Horde4 now the time factor and memory
consumption will be critical points.

> I'm asking this, because the bynari connector needs more than a minute
> to sync the folder.
> ( I have the feeling that the connector is randomly recreating the
> folder, which takes again more time)

This should only happen once though. All the clients should cache
their data and only sync new objects from the folders. This should be
completely independent of the amount of objects you already have in
the folder. Or are you killing/repopulating the address folder each
day? That would not be a good idea :)

Cheers,

Gunnar

--