[Kolab-devel] reason for unencrypted services beeing enabled per default

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at kolabsys.com
Thu Aug 26 18:01:52 CEST 2010

Hi,

Zitat von Silvan Marco Fin <silvan at kernelconcepts.de>:

> Hi!
>
>   Is there a particular reason, why the kolab services (imap, smtp,
> http, ldap) are configured to accept unencrypted connections per
> default? In case of smtp, the situation is clearly a bit more
> complicated, but postfix can be tweaked, to accept either unencrypted
> and unauthenticated connections (relaying or SMTP host) or only
> encrypted and authenticated (for kolab users). For the other services I
> can't think of a reason, why they should accept incoming connections in
> unencrypted form after the default installation.

I assume there were some good reasons in the past to choose the
defaults as we have them now. And one might have been "Outlook". But I
don't think this is something that is absolutely fixed and we can
always discuss and change it.

Maybe the more important point would be some good documentation at a
prominent place that highlights some important security measures.
Assuming that we choose a more secure default then we'd need to
document on how to open the system up. Either because some users are
unable to connect otherwise or because the server is in a special
network or whatever other reason I can't think of now.

Cheers,

Gunnar

>   Kind regards,
>    Silvan (silvan at kernelconcepts.de)