[Kolab-devel] Cyrus IMAP groups patch

Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems) vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com
Fri Aug 20 15:45:07 CEST 2010

Gunnar Wrobel wrote:
> Zitat von Thomas Arendsen Hein <thomas at intevation.de>:
> > In short: We don't need the groups patch upstream,
>
> I don't think Jeroen wanted to get the groups patch upstream. He also
> wants to avoid it and I think he suggested to do so via PAM.

Indeed I do not want to upstream this patch, and in fact I want to drop it
from Kolab as well.

> > we probably want SASL to know about the group of names in LDAP.
>
> ... and in turn Cyrus IMAPD to use SASL for group lists. It is
> mentioned in the issue you linked so I think you know that but I just
> wanted to highlight that the resulting patch is a two step appraoch
> and probably would not be to easy.
>
> @Jeroen: If I understood you correctly you were suggesting that we
> could feed Cyrus IMAPD with alternate group information via PAM. Did I
> indeed understand you correctly? How could such an approach look like?
> I'm no PAM expert and it would cost me some research to see if that
> should be possible or not.

SASL is an authentication layer, not a general user/group information or
authorization layer (although it can be used to limit whether a user
successfully authenticates by enforcing membership of a certain group). Long
story short, SASL cannot (or actually, should not) be used for general group
information, and creating a plugin that uses SASL's LDAP capabilities is just
too inefficient (both in development as well as in actual implementation).

There is a simple alternative, which in my opinion is also very acceptable;

Obtaining group information from LDAP does not include the entire system
authenticating to LDAP. It merely requires that NSS is aware of where groups
reside;

[root at test90-1 ~]# getent group sales
[root at test90-1 ~]# vim /etc/nsswitch.conf
(...
    make sure the groups: line includes ldap
    ...)
[root at test90-1 ~]# getent group sales
sales:*:507:vanmeeuwen
[root at test90-1 ~]#

I'm not sure how this, having been configured system-wide (admittedly) can be
mutually exclusive with anything else that may be going on on said system?

--
Jeroen van Meeuwen
Senior Engineer, Kolab Systems AG

e: vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com