[Kolab-devel] Cyrus IMAP groups patch

Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems) vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com
Tue Aug 17 22:55:50 CEST 2010

Dear readers,

I stumble upon the "groups patch" which enables cyrus-imapd to read an
arbitrary groups file as opposed to using the system getgrent(3) call (if and
when using the UNIX groups, that is).

Afaik, getgrent(3) will return groups from anything PAM can handle and that
does groups.

I'm wondering what the use-case behind the groups patch is, and whether
someone could tell me about a valid production implementation scenario so that
I can push this upstream. So far, the only use case I can see is parallel
Kolab deployments using OpenPKG -which of course is not going to be a valid
argument for upstream, and has alternatives that better align with native
packaging such as chroots.

Feedback would be appreciated.

Kind regards,

--