[Kolab-devel] Completing ActiveSync integration in Kolab, and a request for input on IMAP annotatemore extensions

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Mon Apr 12 08:12:30 CEST 2010

Quoting Bernhard Reiter <bernhard at intevation.de>:

>> > I think we either have more annotations like this or it is the first.
>> > So which one are you thinking about?
>>
>> We also store a potentially unlimited list of elements in the
>> pxfb-readable-for annotation. We discussed the very same problem when
>> we implemented the xfb concept as I had the same concerns then.
>
> Okay, you've meant the length restriction.
> I believe this could be solved in the server implementation,
> if we find that conceptually putting the configuration in there
> is the right thing.
>
> For me this is the first annotation that conceptually puts client
> configuration on the server. So far, we have markers for folders.

I agree that client specific folder configurations fit even less into
the current concept of IMAP folder annotations.

But my argument is not about the length restriction or the actual
server implementation. There is a concept behind the RFC describing
IMAP METADATA. And it is about storing simple name value pairs. NOT
about having a general database for each folder.

And to me this is the issue we are discussing here: storing complex
data for a folder. It may be a "simple" array or it may be a set of
values for each client.

Annotations as described in the IMAP METADATA extension are useful and
they have served Kolab well in the past years. And I don't see us
stopping to use them. I just want to limit their use to the simple
task they were meant to fulfill.

So I would like to extend our format definition so that we avoid
misusing the annotations. Please let us define a special folder object
that holds any data that lies beyond the simple name/value concept of
annotations.

Cheers,

Gunnar

> --
> Managing Director - Owner: www.intevation.net       (Free Software Company)
> Deputy Coordinator Germany: fsfe.org. Board member: www.kolabsys.com.
> Intevation GmbH, Osnabrück, DE; Amtsgericht Osnabrück, HRB 18998
> Geschäftsführer Frank Koormann, Bernhard Reiter, Dr. Jan-Oliver Wagner

Tel.   : +49 700 6245 0000                         Bundesstrasse 29
Fax    : +49 721 1513 52322                        D-20146 Hamburg