[Kolab-devel] kimap (imap library) Re: annotations patch in c-client what is the status?

Richard Bos ml at radoeka.nl
Thu Nov 5 11:57:39 CET 2009

On Thu, Nov 05, 2009 at 11:32:33AM +0100, Gunnar Wrobel wrote:
> >Here comes the troublesome part (sorry Bernhard for not replying earlier):
> >The library is written in C++ while PHP uses mostly C. We would need a lot
> >of wrapper glue here. The new library also depends on Qt and some KDE
> >libraries, this is quite a heavy dependency for a PHP module.
>
> That is the disadvantage this new library has. As long as you are
> working within a context that uses Qt anyhow you are fine. But for all
> server environments you really want a light-weight library doing the
> IMAP access. I don't know if you can package libkimap with a
> lightweight Qt version. But if not I don't see it in the server but
> only the desktop environment.

What do you mean with light-weight?  In openSUSE the QT package is 1.2MB
and contains only the following libs:
/usr/bin/qdbus
/usr/lib/libQtCLucene.so.4.4.3
/usr/lib/libQtCore.so.4.4.3
/usr/lib/libQtDBus.so.4.4.3
/usr/lib/libQtNetwork.so.4.4.3
/usr/lib/libQtTest.so.4.4.3
/usr/lib/libQtXml.so.4.4.3
(these are the pure files, I left out the links).  Looks rather light-weight
to me, isn't it?

--
Richard