[Kolab-devel] why not ship Kolab with Samba by default?

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Sun May 31 15:50:45 CEST 2009

Martin Konold wrote:

>  > option, not enabled by default (like Horde is now).
>
> I am afraid that people start to think that Kolab is the perfect Samba
> solution and therefore many Samba related support request(*) start
> popping up.
>
> Yours,
>
> -- martin
>
> (*) As soon as you start using samba for non trivial purposes including
> PDC, BDC, printer driver, printing and ACLs things become hairy for the
> plain reason that Samba tries to offer a mapping between unix/posix and
> Windows with regards to these properties.
>
> It is simply IMPOSSIBLE to get such a mapping right in all corner cases.
> E.g. there is no sufficently good counterpart to SIDs. Windows ACLs are
> very different from POSIX ACLs,....

There is a good list which deals with Samba: lists.samba.org. Just
teach/tell users to use it.

And if you're talking about commercial support, it's a good opportunity
to earn additional money.

Do you have many support questions regarding Apache, Postfix, OpenLDAP
or Cyrus?

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org