[Kolab-devel] [issue3614] Toltec: default Calendar, default Task folders got deleted

Mike Gabriel kolab-issues at intevation.de
Mon May 11 11:37:30 CEST 2009

New submission from Mike Gabriel <m.gabriel at das-netzwerkteam.de>:

though it is probably hard to reproduce i want to let you know about a hard
weekend...

try the following:

KOLAB-SERVER:

  o in addition to default Calendar and Tasks folder create another calendar
    share calEXTRA and another task share taskEXTRA (use cyradm)
  o use cyradm mboxcfg to make calEXTRA, tasksEXTRA your default share

    (kontact does something like this, if no default groupware folder is
    present it selects any folder - i suppose the first in alphanumeric order,
    that's how my default folders became a mess... anyway)

  o store events and task in the folders: Calendar, calEXTRA(default), Tasks,
    tasksEXTRA(default), use a client like Horde to create events (not
    Outlook!).

  o connect with MS Outlook 2007 and Toltec Connector 2.3.1

  o sync all folders

  o Calendar share and Tasks share in Outlook stay empty (although there should
    be items, as we created them before, s.above)

  o after a second/third sync the Calendar share on the KOLAB server vanishes
    (Arggghh... I love my backup server, in Outlook Calendar share is still
    present, though unsynced/empty)

  o Create Tasks in Outlook's Tasks share

  o sync

  o Tasks share on KOLAB server vanishes (not so in Outlook)

  o with luck, the Tasks created in Outlook have been synced to tasksEXTRA
    (which is the Tasks default share on the KOLAB server), this behaviour only
    occurred with tasks, events always got lost completely...

to fix it...

  o create Calendar, Tasks share on KOLAB server, make it the default gw shares
    for their types, use same share names as Outlook does(!)
  o change folder-type: from event.default to event on calEXTRA
  o change folder-type: from task.default to task on tasksEXTRA
  o restore mails in all shares from backup
  o run cyrreconstruct
  o delete outlook profile
  o delete .pst file
  o create new outlook account

After fiddling around with my Production account for two nights i have the
impression that Toltec/Outlook get confused when the default groupware share
names on the KOLAB server are not of the same name as the groupware share names
in outlook. how does toltec map these default gw folders from outlook to
kolab??? outlook is rather ridig with its default gw share names, kolab is quite
tolerant about default gw names. how does this come together? does toltec sync
from Outlook ,,Calendar'' in to the default event.default gw share, regardless
of its name?

Taking into consideration that KDE Kontact is really arbitrary with default gw
names and in some situation (when there is no default gw folder for a certain gw
type) even sets any of the present gw folders as the default for its type, it
can be very vulnerable to your folders ,,Calendar'' and ,,Tasks'' (default
Outlook names) if you use both clients in parallel. to my mind it only works if

  (a) Toltec is the first Groupware-Client that creates gw folders on the server
  (b) the naming scheme of gw shares on the kolab server is conform to
      outlook's localized(!) gw share names
  (c) i guess toltec even breaks if you use a german and english ms outlook
      version

my last weekend's experiences are quite worrying to me.

PS: similar problem occurred with the default Contact share...

messages: 20136
nosy: joonradley, mike
status: unread
title: Toltec: default Calendar, default Task folders got deleted