[Kolab-devel] annotations patch in c-client what is the status?

Richard Bos ml at radoeka.nl
Fri Jun 5 08:39:16 CEST 2009

Hi Martin,

On Fri, Jun 05, 2009 at 07:02:34AM +0200, Martin Konold wrote:
> > > I see no point in helping panda in any way beyond providing patches. They
> > > seem to try to blackmail their users. IMHO a very bad strategy I am not
> > > going to suppport. The dynamics in the c-client library was simply not
> > > there during the last years.
> > >
> > > I popose to make another fork of the original c-client library and
> > > maintain it within kolab.org publically.
> >
> > But how do you convince distributions to use this fork?  If the
> > distributions will stick to the original one, the situation is not improved
> > on the contrary it will be confusing.
>
> Firstly they must know about the existance of the fork.
>
> Secondly they must know that there is NO risk involved in taking our version
> of the c-client library. (Our versions only extents the original version, is
> extremly well tested and is maintained without blackmailing so actually the
> risks are decreasing)
>
> Thirdls they must be made aware of the differences:
>
>  - maintained versus unmainained
>  - freely available versus blackmail
>  - rfc compliant features versus lack of features
>  - security fixes versus blackmail

Indeed, but have a look at this page: http://panda.com/imap/
and see the number of fixes that have been made to the
c-client already.  Would a fork be able to provide the same
number of fixes?

> > > In the long run the c-client library will not survive anyway.
> >
> > Can you elaborate on this a bit more?
>
> The codebase was stagnant for many years and is outdated. It lacks imap
> features and nobody is investing heavily in implementing the most recent IMAP
> rfcs (e.g. condstore....)
>
> > How long is your run, if that will take years, it is not a good situation
> > either.
>
> You mean the time until c-client dies? This will definetely take years.

No I in other email (earlier in this thread) you said that their might
be another solution for the c-client.  So I actually hoped that you
could tell something about that (what solution and when available).

> > Is it not possible to
> > deliver this solution faster, so it can be used now?
>
> The fast solution is to fork now and make it widely know.

So, who should do this (btw not me!)???

--
Richard