[Kolab-devel] Horde can now store Preferences in IMAP (was: Horde preferences: LDAP or IMAP?)

Alain Spineux aspineux at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 07:57:59 CET 2009

On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 9:37 AM, Bernhard Reiter <bernhard at intevation.de> wrote:
> Moin Martin,
>
> [to kolab-devel@ only as this is mainly about the implementation]
>
> On Montag, 5. Januar 2009, Martin Konold wrote:
>> Am Montag, 5. Januar 2009 10:19:55 schrieb Bernhard Reiter:
>> > This is what makes the discussion interesting. The use of LDAP for
>> > daily client preferences in Kolab Server 2.2.0 was by mistake.
>>
>> No it was an intermediate solution in order to avoid an additional piece of
>> compley software (RDBMS).
>
> my remark was technical about the server 2.2.0
> and the web client implementation coming with it.
> This web client was not scalable for several servers
> (as it should have been) and it should not have used LDAP.
>
>> > Until we have a good proposal for the Kolab Format, it should be file,
>> > as this is what most other clients also use.
>>
>> Using a file instead of IMAP breaks the scalability aspect of the Kolab
>> Webclient.
>
> I merely suggested to use file as default until we have come up with a nice
> proposal for the IMAP format which also incoporates other clients.
>
>> > A client could potentially write this data on any display refresh
>> > or client action. Just think about index files that contain special flags
>> > per email. So I guess that there will be always client data that will
>> > need to be saved client locally per user.
>>
>> I don't understand this. E.g. a webclient can easily use the more efficient
>> session instead of persistent storage in order to keep volatile data (which
>> can easily be regenerated anyway)
>
> Hmm, I am also still thinking about this.
>
> Let us assume a folder with 20K emails in it,

A folder with 20K emails is only usable with a search engine.
Displaying the list of email is useless !
The user will quickly understand it should not access this folder with
a webmail :-)
If your webmail allow you to search on a folder without selecting it
as your current,
you must have enough functionalities !

Just my 0.02

> Kontact keeps an index files to accelerate the display of this information.
> If it would not keep such an index files between sessions, it would need to
> parse all 20K emails on the first selection of the folder or startup.
> This seems to indicate that someone would need a permanent local storage
> for the client.
>
> Note that also for Kontact you would need different preferences
> settings as you usually have one client in your workplace, one at home, one
> mobile netbook and you would want different settings with them, e.g.
> a different local subscription of folders.
> It would be cool for the Kolab Concept to support all these different
> needs for storing configurations, but the problem seems to be hard.
> There are meanwhile two discontinued attempts by the Cyrus people to solve
> this problems.
>
> Bernhard
>
> --
> Managing Director - Owner: www.intevation.net      (Free Software Company)
> Germany Coordinator: fsfeurope.org. Coordinator: www.Kolab-Konsortium.com.
> Intevation GmbH, Osnabrück, DE; Amtsgericht Osnabrück, HRB 18998
> Geschäftsführer Frank Koormann, Bernhard Reiter, Dr. Jan-Oliver Wagner

Alain Spineux
aspineux gmail com
May the sources be with you