[Kolab-devel] [issue3409] Advanced reminders work only partially

Thomas Ribbrock kolab-issues at intevation.de
Tue Feb 17 10:04:06 CET 2009

New submission from Thomas Ribbrock <itsef-admin at brightsight.com>:

(split off issue1837)

When trying to use "Advanced Reminders" in enterprise35, I observed the following:

"Audio" type alarms
These alarms work (even with attendees, as long as the audio file is present on
their machine, too - haven't tested to extensively, though)

"Program" type alarms
These do not work. If I try to run a program (e.g. to play an audio file), the
normal alarm dialog correctly pops up at the designated. However, the assigned
program is not run. For this scenario, I have seen two cases:
 a) I enter the program name (/usr/bin/play) in "Program file" and the sound
file (with full path) in "Program arguments". I can see the following in the dbg
output:
libkcal: CalendarLocal::appendAlarms() 'test6': Thu Feb 12 16:15:00 2009
korgac (check): REMINDER: test6
korganizer: formatAttendees: uid =
korganizer: formatAttendees: uid =
korganizer: formatAttendees: uid =
korganizer: formatAttendees: uid =
korgac: Starting program: '/usr/bin/play '
The argument is nowhere to be seen and no audio is played.

I have retested this case with kdialog as well, with the same results. kdialog
is not run.
b) If I leave the "Program arguments" empty and add the sound file to the
"Program file" field instead, I also get no audio, but the dbg file shows:
korgac (check): Check: Thu Feb 12 16:23:17 2009 - Thu Feb 12 16:24:16 2009
libkcal: CalendarLocal::appendAlarms() 'test6': Thu Feb 12 16:24:00 2009
korgac (check): REMINDER: test6
korganizer: formatAttendees: uid =
korganizer: formatAttendees: uid =
korganizer: formatAttendees: uid =
korganizer: formatAttendees: uid =
korgac: Starting program: '/usr/bin/play /home/ribbrock/sounds/drawswrd.wav'
Again, no audio.
In both cases I have tried to run the "play" command from the command line - in
which case it worked and played the correct audio sample. Same goes for the
kdialog command I used - it works fine from the command line.

"Reminder dialog" type alarms
These also do not work. If I choose "Reminder dialog" and enter some text in
"Reminder Dialog text", only the standard reminder dialog is shown - no sign of
the custom text. The dbg file shows:
korgac (check): Check: Thu Feb 12 16:39:17 2009 - Thu Feb 12 16:40:16 2009
libkcal: CalendarLocal::appendAlarms() 'test6': Thu Feb 12 16:40:00 2009
korgac (check): REMINDER: test6

Repeating alarms
Seem to work, at least with an alarm that's "n minutes before start"

All these were tested with:
kontact --version
Qt: 3.3.8b
KDE: 3.5.10
Kontact: 1.2.9 (enterprise35 20090206.922263)

This particular version also had the patch for incident.cpp from
issue3385/msg18534 applied.

messages: 18593
nosy: itsef_admin
priority: bug
status: unread
title: Advanced reminders work only partially
topic: enterprise35, kde client