[Kolab-devel] Fwd: Introducing OpenPKG 4.x

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Fri Dec 11 09:52:01 CET 2009

Quoting Paul Adams <paul at kdab.com>:

> Hi Martin (et al),
>
> On 8 Dec 2009, at 07:08, Martin Konold wrote:
>> I therefore propose to prepare a decision with regards to using
>> OpenPKG within
>> the Kolab Project.
>
> Hasn't the decision been made for us?...

I think so, too. I always disliked OpenPKG from a technical
perspective but I am convinced that the possibility to install the
Kolab Server on the most common base distributions gave our solution
additional value. So in that regard I did like it.

But it is of course inacceptable if everyone that installs the Kolab
Server has to pay licensing fees. I'll try to call Thomas Lotterer
about this but I think the original mail is already quite clear about
it.

And in that case I would also say that the decision has been made for us.

> The new licensing model, at least just after the brief description in
> this email, sounds unfriendly towards Free Software.
>
> Either way, setting aside some time to discuss the future of Kolab
> packaging is not a bad idea.

I think we should start discussing the different available options on
the list so that we get an overview on the different options including
their pros and cons.

Cheers,

Gunnar