[Kolab-devel] LDAP attribute kolabHomeServerOnly

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Sun Apr 19 08:02:03 CEST 2009

Quoting Thomas Arendsen Hein <thomas at intevation.de>:

> * Gunnar Wrobel <wrobel at pardus.de> [20090416 14:16]:
>> Guess I'm somewhat slow in reviewing code these times as these are
>> changes from February:
>>
>> http://kolab.org/pipermail/kolab-commits/2009q1/009163.html
>> http://kolab.org/pipermail/kolab-commits/2009q1/009165.html
>>
>> Can you explain in more detail why this LDAP schema change was
>> necessary and what the functionality
>> is about? My gut feeling would be that a new LDAP attribute might
>> be too much and I feel we already
>> packed too many such attributes in our schema. So I felt the need
>> to understand this change.
>
> Regarding the functionality:
>
> Not all IMAP clients need the dummy inbox on the other servers and
> you only need it anyway if users on one Kolab server need to access
> shared/published folders on a different Kolab server in a
> master/slave setup.
>
> The functionality was requested by a client who does not want to
> clutter the IMAP spool directories with directories which are not
> used in his setup.
>
> Regarding the LDAP change:
>
> It is only a schema extension, so it will not affect existing
> installations. The reason for adding it to LDAP is to have identical
> behavior on all servers. The reason for adding it as a user
> attribute instead of a global attribute is that you still might want
> to have certain users with mailboxes on all servers, because you
> know they have IMAP clients needing the additional inboxes.
>
> Like some other LDAP attributes it is not wired to the web admin
> interface, so that does not even get cluttered with bells&whistles
> that most people do not need.

Hm, that is true. But the schema itself gets just another attribute
linked to some functionality that is not really obvious.

I've raised this issue before and I'm actually still opposed to adding
new attributes for functionality offered by a single client
application. I'd rather have an attribute "kolabdPreferences" that can
occur multiple times and carries values such as
"home_server_only=true". There are other attributes just relevant for
postfix and new attributes have been proposed solely for features one
might add to the web admin. I consider this a broken approach.

I know others disagree and maybe new attributes are indeed necessary.

I'd like to ask though that they get more documentation in the schema.
There are already now many attributes where I don't know what they
were meant for and if there are Kolab server subsystems that might use
this attribute. Yes, one can grep through the code in Kolab CVS to
find locations where the attribute may be used. But I don't consider
that optimal.

Another suggestion: If we really want to add such attributes to our
object classes which are only relevant for a single LDAP-aware
application we might group these in their own object class (e.g.
kolabPreferenceKolabd) as a supplemental object class to
kolabInetOrgPerson.

Cheers,

Gunnar