[Kolab-devel] make kolabd more robust

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Wed Oct 15 06:08:47 CEST 2008

Hi Alain,

Quoting Alain Spineux <aspineux at gmail.com>:

> The "kolabDeleteflag" avoid kolabd to forget to delete a user.
> But for the user creation, we have no guaranty no users will not be
> forgotten by kolabd !
> The current system is based only on a _transation less_ ldap
> replication mechanism !
> This means user could be forgotten !

Do you have a specific scenario for this? This would of course be a
bug and should get fixed.

The idea within kolabd is that new users are stored in a local user db
once they are created. If they are not in there the account will be
created. So I wouldn't say it is "transaction less". It does not store
the information in LDAP though - that is correct. The question would
be if that would really be necessary.

The deletion flag exists as all servers need to purge the entry. But
for creation only one server needs to create the account. So the local
db solution should be okay.

But I admit the code is not 100% clean and I could imagine there are
situations where user creation could fail.

It would be good to clarify such a scenario though and put it in an
issue in the tracker.

Cheers,

Gunnar