[Kolab-devel] make kolabd more robust

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Tue Nov 18 17:54:33 CET 2008

On Mittwoch, 15. Oktober 2008, Alain Spineux wrote:
> > The idea within kolabd is that new users are stored in a local user db
> > once they are created. If they are not in there the account will be
> > created. So I wouldn't say it is "transaction less".
>
> Yes this is transaction less because kolabd don't
> use this information even if  it exists. This is too much work to
> check that all account has it existing mailbox created
> at each startup ! This was done in the past but was taking hours ! I
> dont know what is the empyrical system used now,
> but as shown in the user mailing list some mailbox look to be
> forgotten sometime.

From my memory kolabd has a faster local database that it will consulte
for user creating when triggered. So a lost transaction is _not_ a problem.
Kolabd will check on many changes if all users are there and create
accordingly, even if the current replication part does not have all
the changes.

> > The deletion flag exists as all servers need to purge the entry. But for
> > creation only one server needs to create the account. So the local db
> > solution should be okay.
>
> The deletion flag is not mandatory at all !

I was from my perspective for a robust solution to delete stuff
in the right order from all Kolab Server (e.g. one master, two slaves).

> Kolabd could compare imap mailbox and ldap entries
> and delete missing items. But this become slow and then "transaction less"

Was probably considered too risky, think about the directory service
temorarily being in disorder and your precious email folders being deleted...

Bernhard

--
Managing Director - Owner: www.intevation.net      (Free Software Company)