[Kolab-devel] Extending Kolab

Mike Gabriel m.gabriel at das-netzwerkteam.de
Tue May 27 10:37:23 CEST 2008

hi bernhard,

Quoting Bernhard Reiter <bernhard at intevation.de>:

> On Monday 19 May 2008 08:42, Gunnar Wrobel wrote:
>> What do people think?
>

> At first sight using puppet sounds too complex in itself.
> Its complexity will be a legacy and might eat up the advantages it promisses.
>
> Some of the advantages you gave are not really understood from my side.
> I guess I would need to understand better what the problem with Kolab
> Server/Gentoo integration is.
> Simplicity certainly is a big plus for kolabconf.
>
> Best,
> Bernhard

when i set up my first kolab server for me the most weird thing was
the kolabconf stuff. especially in debian normally only debconf
fiddles around with configs and templates. and then all of a sudden,
there is some other process that constantly overwrites my postfix
config... other dists might experience similar issues...

and kolabconf certainly has a bunch of limitation, esp. when you start
a greater mail system setup (clustering, extending kolab, etc.)

tools like puppet or cfengine are a real gain when administrating >=1
unix systems.

my 10 cent,
mike

--

das netzwerkteam
mike gabriel, hamburger chaussee 240, 24113 kiel

fon: +49 431 64 74 196
voip/voicemail: +49 431 643 643 6
fax: +49 431 64 74 276
mail: m.gabriel at das-netzwerkteam.de, http://das-netzwerkteam.de