[Kolab-devel] kolab and slapd-2.4.x

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Thu Mar 13 12:20:29 CET 2008

Hi Richard,

first sorry for having been to sparse lately.
Since a few months we have been under heavy load which is good for the Kolab
solution. Especially the new KDE enterprise35 client is a large improvement,
but there is more to come on the client side.
This will continue until Linuxtag and sometimes explains why my reaction times
are so low.

On Wednesday 27 February 2008 21:18, Richard Bos wrote:
> Op Wednesday 27 February 2008 11:33:25 schreef Bernhard Reiter:
> > We need to switch replication setup between the openldap to this
> > mechanism as well and make the new concept work in the implementation (it
> > eat memory, see the issue tracker for details or other problems).
>
> When searching for syncrepl in the issue tracker, I only get 3 issues, all
> dealing about slurpd being replaced by syncrepl:
> 2490:  kolab + slapd (>=2.4.x)   resolved
> 1755: Openldap>=2.4.6 switches from slurpd to syncrepl   chatting  thomas
> 2264: Kolab Server won't work with OpenLDAP >=2.4.6
> https://www.intevation.de/roundup/kolab/issue?%3Aaction=search&%3Asearch_te
>xt=syncrepl&title=&%3Acolumns=title&topic=&id=&%3Acolumns=id&creation=&creat
>or=&activity=&%3Acolumns=activity&%3Asort=activity&priority=&%3Agroup=priori
>ty&status=&%3Acolumns=status&assignedto=&%3Acolumns=assignedto&%3Apagesize=5
>0&%3Astartwith=0&%3Asortdir=on&%3Aqueryname=
>
> Those issues do not refer to memory leaks.  (A memory leak was reported for
> the current implementation, I believe).

Which memory leak are you refering to in particular?
We have kolab/issue2478 (kolabd memory leak).

> How should the switching replication be done, and when?  Probably after
> kolab-2.2 has been released, as kolab-2.3?  Is it sufficient to use this
> patch from issue1755
> https://www.intevation.de/roundup/kolab/file536/syncrepl.patch
> Hmm, the patch won't work anymore as perl-kolab.../Conf.pm has been
> superseded by kolabconf/...lib/..../Conf.pm.  Is this all the code that is
> needed or is more needed?

All good questions. I currently do not know.
The big part on server 2.2 is to get Horde in an all old functionality with
the updated and cleanup packages in there and stable. We are battling this at
the moment. Thomas leads this effort.
This has a high priority, because we must give people a real means to move to
2.2 from all old installations.

Bernhard