[Kolab-devel] I'm frustrated because my patches where not included in RC1

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Tue Mar 4 14:54:02 CET 2008

Alain,

thanks for your comments!

On Friday 15 February 2008 09:12, Gunnar Wrobel wrote:
> > - postponed to a future release; this imply the existence of a more
> > detailed road map.
>
> We do indeed still have problems getting a decent roadmap together. We
> could probably do better here. But on the other hand the development
> team is still small and we depend a lot on the contracts we get for
> the server.

It is very good that part of the maintenance of the server (and KDE client)
is financed by projects. On the other hand "projects" make it hard to build up
a permanent "janitor" service and finance it! Each maintenance contract
KK does with a provisional fee helps is this respect.
Still Kolab Server development is mostly done and funded by a small part of
the people that use it "commerically.".

> Fact is: If a customer comes along and requests a feature that he
> needs in a time frame of two months, then this feature will suddenly
> appear on the internal roadmap and be implemented in that time. So
> there is not that much planning beforehand.

Most Free Software products will be developed this way:
as suddenly things change we need to be flexible.

Bernhard