[Kolab-devel] Extending Kolab

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Wed Jun 18 18:25:13 CEST 2008

Am Dienstag, 17. Juni 2008 21:41:14 schrieb Gunnar Wrobel:
> What I was referring to were changes of paths. Stuff like OpenPKG
> installing the imap spool in /var/imapd/spool and Gentoo in
> /var/spool/imapd. So basically the same what we use the current
> dist_conf stuff for. Calling that a "hack" would be a little bit too
> much.

Agreed. :)

> > The choice of versions also bears a risk, people using Kolab Server
> > usually get a quality tested system in this combination, any other
> > combination of components has the chance the degrate the usage
> > experience. Those problems with shape the "image" of Kolab Server with
> > production users.
>
> I don't see the connection between puppet and people suddenly being
> able to choose package versions on Kolab2/OpenPKG. It wouldn't make
> sense for the Kolab2/OpenPKG server, would it?

The reputation of Kolab Server also depend on experience on the
the Kolab Server/[^OpenPKG] platforms.
I was refering towards the problems getting those versions stable
for a good user experience.

> >> After several months of testing the module is also made available for
> >> the Kolab server on OpenPKG.
> >>
> >> This is possible with puppet right here, right now.
> >
> > I do not believe that kolabconf currently is a large burden for Kolab
> > Server nor would it help market uptake a lot, so for me this is not high
> > on the list.
>
> Well, I'll come back once the stuff has been completed for
> Kolab2/Gentoo. :)

I hope it is Kolab Server/Gentoo. :)
Seriously I guess that Gentoo attracts more people that like doing more
changes than usual to their software.

> For people curios about how a Kolab configuration could look like with
> puppet:
>
> http://github.com/wrobel/pardalys/tree/master

I'll certainly take a look at this and puppet some day so thanks
for bringing it up here and putting forward the code and the arguments.

Bernhard