[Kolab-devel] Modifying the LDAP user representation for a distributed Kolab server system?

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Tue Jul 29 13:26:17 CEST 2008

On Tuesday 29 July 2008 11:55, Gunnar Wrobel wrote:
> I don't see a specific benefit for a completely separate FreeBusy
> server as described in the Horde bug I referenced. I think you'd need
> a lot of users in order to make that necessary.

I lack numbers, but my guess is that Horde is one or two magnitudes
more resource hungry than a native client user on a server machine.
So if you can have 200 native concurrent users, probably the same machine will
only take 20 or less concurrent Horde users.

> But once you split your Horde installation to a different Apache
> server I believe it makes a lot of sense to combine FreeBusy with the
> Horde installation. The newer FreeBusy code uses the same IMAP cache
> as Horde does. So you can reduce the IMAP calls with this. A combined
> Horde/FreeBusy server also allows you to remove the complete apache
> from the main server which might be another reason for such a setup.
>
> I think I discussed this with Bernhard once and he disagreed but I'd
> have to look up the thread again.

Yes I disagree because freebusy is a part of the native client
for which people expect different response times. Web client usage is
something very different from the user perspective. And I do not want
web users to slow down native client users and email in- and outgoing
processing.

So standard separation steps would be:
a) an an SMTP gateways with scanning
b) seperate web client server (Horde)