[Kolab-devel] Modifying the LDAP user representation for a distributed Kolab server system?

Thomas Arendsen Hein thomas at intevation.de
Tue Jul 29 11:23:16 CEST 2008

* Gunnar Wrobel <wrobel at pardus.de> [20080729 10:19]:
> I'd like to know if people feel it makes sense to allow for such
> splitted Kolab server setups. As far as I can see this would require
> additional settings comparable to "kolabHomeserver" in the LDAP schema
> for a Kolab user. There is already "kolabHomeMTA" in the schema but it
> is currently unused.
>
> Would it make sense to add additional entries such as
> "kolabImapServer", "kolabFreeBusyServer" etc. in the Kolab user
> representation?

I think splitting out virus and spam scanning yields the biggest
benefit to reduce workload of the servers providing IMAP.

I don't see how having separate IMAP and MTA for a single user could
be useful. Of course it would be good to have a dedicated MX for
mails coming in from the outside, but a simple Kolab slave with no
users having this one as home server is very close to this (and
might be the easiest solution to handle incoming virus/spam mails).

I'm not sure about kolabFreeBusyServer: What's the benefit?

Regards,
Thomas

--
thomas at intevation.de - http://intevation.de/~thomas/ - OpenPGP key: 0x5816791A
Intevation GmbH, Osnabrueck - Register: Amtsgericht Osnabrueck, HR B 18998