[Kolab-devel] [issue2937] no connection to email servers possible for kolab 2.2.0-1.1 with openSUSE 10.3

Uwe Galle kolab-issues at intevation.de
Sat Jul 26 15:03:20 CEST 2008

New submission from Uwe Galle <uga at domestic.de>:

This problem is perhaps related to the problem described in bug
https://www.intevation.de/roundup/kolab/issue2912. I was only able to install
Kolab 2.2.0-1.1 after downgrading openldap from 2.4.10-7.1 to 2.3.41-1.1. Now I
can access the webadmin and can create and delete users.

But regarding to emails nothing works. If I try to establish a connection to
cyrus with imtest or with cyradm the programs do not respond at all. I press
enter, the cursor goes to the next line and this line remains empty
indefinitely. No error, no message, nothing. I have to press Ctrl-C in order to
come back to the shell. All other commands work normally.

If I enable the POP3 service and restart all Kolab services netstat -anpt | grep
110 shows nothing. I have a checkmark behind POP3 but no running POP3 service.
My system was installed from scratch two weeks ago after a severe damage by an
update. It is really fresh and outside Kolab I don't see any problems anywhere.

After some digging in the Kolab website I found the question if the used tools
belong to Kolab or to the distribution
(http://kolab.org/pipermail/kolab-users/2007-November/007056.html). And indeed,
my "which" shows that my tools are taken from the distribution. After some
further looking I saw that I don't have any /kolab directory at all. Also find
discovers only one instance of the tool: /usr/bin/cyradm.

But according to the suse documentation http://en.opensuse.org/Kolab this should
be normal for openSUSE. But perhaps there is a problem with the new version.
mhuewe wrote in my previous bug report that he has installed the new version on
11.0. Was the new version perhaps only tested with 11.0? Can I be sure that I
will have a stable Kolab server if I upgrade to 11.0? How did you upgrade from
10.3 to 11.0?

If Kolab 2.2.0-1.1 / openSUSE 11.0 is not really stable I would prefer 10.3.
Then the problem must be found. And I want to mention that I have a bit tough
time frame because I lost some time with the experiments with openldap.

messages: 15931
nosy: uga
priority: critical
status: unread
title: no connection to email servers possible for kolab 2.2.0-1.1 with openSUSE 10.3