[Kolab-devel] [issue2846] Need canonical command line to send email via Kontact (running and not running)

Bernhard Reiter kolab-issues at intevation.de
Thu Jul 3 13:02:21 CEST 2008

New submission from Bernhard Reiter <bernhard at intevation.de>:

We miss a canonical way to send an Email via Kontact
on the command line which works the same no matter if Kontact is already
started or not.

Tested with kontact 3.5.9.enterprise.0.20080627.825084-kk1,
but the main focus is Kontact on Windows as we've probably can
use it to integrate the mailto: command from other applications
(techbase has some details about other ways of solving this with a dll.)
The feature is interesting enough that we should try and Till wanted
an issue for it.

kontact --help does not tell about parameters that could be used for this.
Using
kontact --help
Usage: kontact [Qt-options] [KDE-options] [options]

KDE personal information manager

Generic options:
  --help                    Show help about options
  --help-qt                 Show Qt specific options
  --help-kde                Show KDE specific options
  --help-all                Show all options
  --author                  Show author information
  -v, --version             Show version information
  --license                 Show license information
  --                        End of options

  --module <module>         Start with a specific Kontact module
  --iconify                 Start in iconified (minimized) mode
  --list                    List all possible modules and exit
  --listprofiles            List all possible profiles and exit
  --profile <profile>       Start with a specific Kontact profile

Kmail has options for this,
  -s, --subject <subject>   Set subject of message
  -c, --cc <address>        Send CC: to 'address'
  -b, --bcc <address>       Send BCC: to 'address'
  -h, --header <header>     Add 'header' to message
  --msg <file>              Read message body from 'file'
  --body <text>             Set body of message
  --attach <url>            Add an attachment to the mail. This can be repeated
  --check                   Only check for new mail
  --composer                Only open composer window
  --view <url>              View the given message file

Arguments:
  address|URL               Send message to 'address' resp. attach the file
the'URL' points to

so using kmail  -s Pingering -c bernhard.reiter at intevation.de
bernhard at intevation.de      will
work as desired, only if Kontact is running. If
it is not running, we get a KMail composer windows which does not fully
operate. Kontact does not grok the same parameters:

kontact -s Pingering -c bernhard.reiter at intevation.de bernhard at intevation.de
kontact: Unknown option '-s'.

kontact --module KMail -s Pingering -c bernhard.reiter at intevation.de
bernhard at intevation.de
kontact: Unknown option '-s'.
(BTW: I do not know what <modulesnames> kontact supports, so "KMail" was just
guessing, probably does _not_ work.)

For windows there is no feedback for kontact ---help because
we do not want to start an extra command line window.

Expectation there should be a way to do
kontact -s XYZ e at example.org
or kontactsendmailorwhatever --somethingabc -s XYZ --to e at example.org
you get the idea.
For windows an extra tools seems warranted.

assignedto: till
messages: 15553
nosy: bernhard, emanuel, ludwig, till, vkrause
priority: bug
status: unread
title: Need canonical command line to send email via Kontact (running and not running)
topic: enterprise35, kde client, kowi