[Kolab-devel] Fwd: Re: Kolab Format specs/Kontact: Question about custom folder types

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Thu Jan 3 14:37:51 CET 2008

[Forwarding this to kolab-format@ to keep the context there,
please followup only on kolab-format at .]

Subject: Re: [Kolab-devel] Kolab Format specs/Kontact: Question about custom
folder types
Date: Thursday 03 January 2008 12:14
From: Martin Konold <martin.konold at erfrakon.de>
To: kolab-devel at kolab.org

Am Montag, 15. Oktober 2007 schrieb Bernhard Reiter:

Hi,

> On Friday 12 October 2007 15:46, Gunnar Wrobel wrote:
> > > - folders with a folder-type different from "mail" are not mail, so
> > >   SHOULD not be displayed as mail (i.e. hidden).
> > >
> > > Maybe this should be added to the specs.
> >
> > I'd be very happy if this could be done.
>
> I am unsure about the change itself.
> I personally would rather see something that I do not understand
> then to overlook that there are possibily additional information.
> Also the default for a regular IMAP client would be to display stuff.

We don't need the proposed change to the documentation due to the follwoing
reasons.

- We don't want to impose changes to standard compliant IMAP clients

- It is soley up to the client to decide if a folder should be shown, hidden
or displayed in some special mode e.g. task view, calendar view, contacts
view....

- Typically users can easily hide unwanted folders when using feature like
subscription, local subscription or "groupware folder hiding". The later
implies that Kolab clients implement it.

> You will need to convince the people of kolab-format at .
> We are quite conservative about changing the format because it should
> be a solid base for client implementations.

Actually some clarification and future developement is unavoidable even if
some implementations decide not to implement the most recent version.

Regards,
-- martin konold