[Kolab-devel] How to bundle our MTA knowledge (was: [merge67] Introduce postfix helo checking)

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Thu Jan 3 11:07:10 CET 2008

On Friday 14 December 2007 11:48, Gunnar Wrobel wrote:
> As mentioned above I believe the Kolab server should always
> have an open policy. But maybe we are capable of making it easier to
> modify and control the postfix settings so that the admins don't have
> to experiment that much. There is a lot of knowlegde available from
> the different Kolab server admins as is obvious from this discussion
> and we should certainly try to make that available to others that
> don't have a lot of experience with MTAs.

I agree with this notion.
To me the question is: How to we organise the process of getting our
experience together.

One difficulty is that that professionals tend to have intensive work periods
and then look like vanished for a longer while. This makes is necessary to try
to document well the current state of our discussions and how it was reached.

A possibilit is to open an issue for seperate points and discuss things over
the nosy list of our roundup-tracker. This works out if the problem that
should be solved is rather well understood and the discussion is not getting
too general nor too long.

We could also use Wiki pages which would make it easier to consolidate results
and keep references. It is a bit more effort though.

For everything there is always the fallback of the mailinglists.

Bernhard