[Kolab-devel] I'm frustrated because my patches where not included in RC1

Richard Bos ml at radoeka.nl
Fri Feb 15 09:49:26 CET 2008

On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 09:12:34AM +0100, Gunnar Wrobel wrote:
> > I will give you a sample of the consequence of your "hesitation".
> > One year ago (January 2007) jhf posted all the patches required
> > to include support for grey and black listing management in Kolab.
> > Some chatting followed until August 2007, I invested myself in
> > this discussion! But nothing until then! Why this crucial issue was
> > not, a least, updated until then ?
> > Some time ago someone filled some issue about the same
> > subject, I even didn't read them because I was sure they will not
> > have more consequence than the first one!
>
> Of course I agree that it would be nice if we could pick up these
> issues and get them into the server. But as I already mentioned
> concerning your squirrelmail extension: Any additional core
> functionality in the server needs to be actively supported by the
> developers and the Kolab consortium.
>
> The server as it exists right now already has quite a number of
> features that are hard to maintain and keep in good shape. There is a
> reason why there are so many open bugs in the tracker after all :)
>
> As I already mentioned when we discussed squirrelmail: We'd need a
> decent extension framework for the Kolab server that would allow to
> packages external extensions more easily.
>
> Probably the current install-kolab.sh script would be a good target
> for that (though, as you are well aware, this script still has some
> peculiar problems). So maybe another script "extend-kolab.sh" would be
> needed.

Related to this, it would be nice if kolabconf would support a template
directory per application.  Just like it is done for other applications,
that support the conf.d directory.
I must configure a http proxy for freshclam -> hence I need to modify
the freshclam configuration file.  As such I might not get automatically
the new freshclam template when this is released by kolab.
If there would be a /etc/kolab/template/freshclam.d directory that contains
additional configuration file parts that are concatenated by kolabconf to
the main config file, it is still possible stay in sync with the kolab
developments, while specifying custom settings.

Just idea.

--
Richard