[Kolab-devel] Modifying the LDAP user representation for a distributed Kolab server system?

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Fri Aug 15 06:41:50 CEST 2008

Quoting Bernhard Reiter <bernhard at intevation.de>:

> On Tuesday 29 July 2008 14:05, Gunnar Wrobel wrote:
>> Inventing a new Kolab user LDAP attribute for each and every service
>> of the Kolab server to support such splitting seems like an overhead
>> and people did not like the suggestion too much.
>>
>> So let me suggest an alternative by using the existing
>> "kolabHomeserver" attribute. Would it be okay to extend its syntax to
>> allow for several settings like:
>>
>>   "example.org"
>>   "MTA:smtp.example.org"
>>   "IMAP:imap.example.org"
>>   "FreeBusy:fb.example.org"
>>
>> The default would be the entry without "prefix:" but it would be
>> possible to provide redirects for specific services.
>
> This looks quite ugly to me. Somehow inventing more parsing within
> an LDAP attribute really feel wrong to me.
> So if we need the attributes, we can for sure come up with enough for them.

Okay, I agree with the parsing thing.

> I am not sure that we need it per user, though.

p at rdus does :) If you have an array of IMAP servers behind an MTA
layer the MTA layer should actually know which IMAP server to deliver
to. And that is per user. I know this is not possible with
Kolab2/OpenPKG at the moment but such distributed setup are feasible
with Kolab.

> For the user, most should be transparent (means: not visible).

The admin sets this stuff in the web admin frontend. It should
obviously not be editable by the user as this concerns the server
infrastructure and is no user setting.

> This is why I am also against putting anything server specific in the login
> information. This could change during the lifetime of an account.

Login information? Sorry, didn't understand this comment. Can you clarify?

>> If I consider the point Bernhard mentioned recently concerning
>> splitted IMAP storage per user it might also make sense to have a
>> syntax like
>>  "imap://USER:PASS@SERVER"
>
> For what in particular?
> The splitted IMAP storage will only be known the the user's client mostly.

So the user would set the storage spaces in Kontact and in the Kolab
web client again? Storing that in LDAP would remove this redundancy or
not?

Cheers,

Gunnar

> --
> Managing Director - Owner: www.intevation.net       (Free Software Company)
> Germany Coordinator: fsfeurope.org. Coordinator: www.Kolab-Konsortium.com.
> Intevation GmbH, Osnabrück, DE; Amtsgericht Osnabrück, HRB 18998
> Geschäftsführer Frank Koormann, Bernhard Reiter, Dr. Jan-Oliver Wagner

Tel.   : +49 700 6245 0000                         Bundesstrasse 29
Fax    : +49 721 1513 52322                        D-20146 Hamburg