[Kolab-devel] distributionlists testing

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Fri Apr 25 14:33:07 CEST 2008

Hi Mike,

On Friday 25 April 2008 00:04, Mike Gabriel wrote:
> @bernhard: a kolab distlist is for sending mail, but as a groupware,
> kolab should be able to manage contact details beyond email usage
> scenarios. imagine the following situation: you use your kolab client
> as an address management tool. you take part in some sort of event and
> want to create an address list with all participants in the event, but
> you do not have everyone's email address. albeit, you want to create
> the complete distlist, print it out, take it to the next event meeting
> and ask for address list completion.

when designing it, I believe we looked at a few specific use cases that we
wanted to solve first. (I was _not_ the lead designer, only the coordinator
on this.) This is a good approach as we needed to get some basic things done.

Of course there are many other use cases, which are not covered by this model.
Especially if you look at the possibilities modern CRM offer. Like I would
want a few company addresses and locations and make contacts members of this.
So far there is no model in Kolab to fullfil these criteria. And we probably
would need a full cycle to come up with something that addreses theses
questions _and_ keeps the current design philosphy of security.

This leans towards a new "local" group concept instead an improved "local
distribution list".

Bernhard