[Kolab-devel] distributionlists testing

Mike Gabriel m.gabriel at das-netzwerkteam.de
Fri Apr 25 09:58:36 CEST 2008

hi gunnar,

> [...]

thanks for your thoughts on this!!!

> Reading through your descriptions here enforces the impression I had
> above: distribution lists as a list of e-mail addresses and a group of
> uids are fundamentally different things. And I think both do not mix
> very well together.
>
> We should really clarify first how the other clients model this at the
> moment. Are the entries in distribution lists linked to real contacts
> in the same folder or not?

in outlook (native, but also with the scalix connector and a scalix
groupware as exchange server application) there is only one type of
distribution list and in this list you can put either smtp-address /
display-name items or references to contact objects in (i am not sure
at this point) any available .pst-style-like address book. the contact
object references in outlook are nasty. whenever you export a
distribution list that contains references to contact objects, all the
references are lost, only the plain smtp-address / display-name items
in the distlist persist.

about kontact/kmail, i am not so sure, but recalling the last test
usage, it seemed that kontact stored smtp-address / display-name itmes
only, but maybe there are other folks on the list with deeper insight...

gruezi,
mike

--

das netzwerkteam
mike gabriel, hamburger chaussee 240, 24113 kiel

fon: +49 431 64 74 196
voip/voicemail: +49 431 643 643 6
fax: +49 431 64 74 276
mail: m.gabriel at das-netzwerkteam.de, http://das-netzwerkteam.de