[Kolab-devel] [issue2621] Forward the appointment as non-invitation iCalender (ics) file

Bernhard Reiter kolab-issues at intevation.de
Thu Apr 10 19:08:07 CEST 2008

New submission from Bernhard Reiter <bernhard at intevation.de>:

There is the use case if you want to inform
somebody else about an appointment, without
requesting a response.
Thus is would be more like a forward of an exported
iCalender or ics file.
Differently phrased a shortcut of export appointment
and then attach the exported file.

With kontact enterprise35 20080404.793539,
we can do "send as iCalender" which is type METHOD=REQUEST.
and a request is like an invitation even with RVSP=false.

If we would use METHOD=PUBLISH, we could not include
the attendees as rfc2446.txt section 3.2.1 PUBLISH reads:
 The "Organizer" MUST be present in a
   published iCalendar component. "Attendees" MUST NOT be present.

Outlook2003 (tested with Outlook2003SP3 German on Windows XP)
can do "forward as iCalender" and will use PUBLISH in an injvalid .ics file ,
because it has no Organizer sometimes (hypothesis: When no other attendee is in
there) and will use REQUEST sometimes (hypothesis: When other attendees are in
there).

If there is no METHOD line in an email, it will be treated
as attachment. Outlook had a problem opening it (the error message was
unhelpful). Kontact can also not open it.

So there is no apparent solution. We could enable Kontact
to deal with non-method iCalender file, but of course we cannot fix Outlook.

assignedto: till
messages: 14433
nosy: bernhard, till, vkrause
priority: wish
status: unread
title: Forward the appointment as non-invitation iCalender (ics) file
topic: enterprise35, kde client