[Kolab-devel] RFC: "gender" field in contacts

Bernhard Herzog bh at intevation.de
Tue Apr 1 11:48:04 CEST 2008

On Monday 31 March 2008 19:22, Thomas Jarosch wrote:
> during tests of the Kolab driver for horde's contact manager (turba)
> I've noticed the "gender" field is somewhat unspecific. The kolab format
> documentation defines it as
>
> "<gender>(string, default empty)</gender>"
> (http://www.kolab.org/doc/kolabformat-2.0rc5-html/c266.html)
>
> Turba's Kolab driver writes out "0" for male and "1" for female.
> Outlook uses "0" for unspecified, "1" for female and "2" for male.
> Kontact doesn't seem to have the gender field (by default).
> (or is there a field somewhere hidden I've just overlooked?)
>
> Personally I like the way with 0=>unspecified, 1=>female and so on.

I think it would be better to use either single letters (m, f) or to spell it
out (male, female).  Both are preferable because their meaning is reasonably
obvious.  With integers you always have to consult the documentation to
figure out what they mean.  To indicate an unspecified gender, leave out the
gender element altogether or leave it empty.

   Bernhard

--
Bernhard Herzog                              Intevation GmbH, Osnabrück