[Kolab-devel] Server 2.2.0b2 release doc remarks

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Wed Oct 31 14:29:53 CET 2007

On Wednesday 31 October 2007 11:21, Alain Spineux wrote:
> Also, some interesting question the notes could answer about the
> _immoderate_ intallation time:
> - When upgrading, how to reduce the downtime of a production system ?

Use a staging system to compile the binary packages and do tests
in your configuration. This is what we recommend for larger production
environments and most administrators do this already bythemselfs. ;-)

> Is it possible to compile new package on a working system without
> stoping it ?

Not in the same OpenPKG root I fear.
Thus fakeroot or something similiar would be a workaround.

> - How to stop the installation process (CTRL-C) and restart it later
> without losing the work already done.

I think this already is the case.
Any build package will stay build, same with installed.
In case of interrupt you will only lose the one package in question.

> - How to take advantage of a SMP system (make -j )

This would be a general OpenPKG improvement
their problably probably will be dependency management.

Bernhard