[Kolab-devel] Z-push

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Fri Oct 26 14:05:30 CEST 2007

Bernhard Reiter <bernhard at intevation.de> writes:

> We should check if z-push could be interesting for Kolab Server
> at some point in the future. I guess it would be connected to Horde-Code
> as well, but I am not sure.
>
> http://z-push.sourceforge.net/soswp/
>
> | Z-Push comes in; it is an implementation of Microsoft's ActiveSync protocol
> | which is used 'over-the-air' for multi platform active sync devices,
> | including Windows Mobile and active sync used on Ericsson and Nokia phones.
>
> As far as I know: written in php and under GNU GPL.

Sounds interesting. The package is not too large yet and might
actually be something one could embed into the Horde-RPC module.

I tried to read up on ActiveSync and found out that it is supposed to
be the evil counterpart of SyncML. While I don't care too much if the
protocol comes from Microsoft or not there was one thing I was
wondering about: Supposedly companies like Apple, Nokia, and others
pay licensing fees to Microsoft in order to implement the protocol
within their software.

Now z-push is obviously GPL software and I believe Zarafa certainly
knows what they are doing. But I'm still wondering how ActiveSync
licensing works. Do companies have to pay fees if they want to
implement it in the client and the server side of things is free? Or
is this a Europe/US thing and one should avoid to implement this in
the US without paying?

Cheers,

Gunnar

> --
> Managing Director - Owner: www.intevation.net       (Free Software Company)
> Germany Coordinator: fsfeurope.org. Coordinator: www.Kolab-Konsortium.com.
> Intevation GmbH, Osnabrück, DE; Amtsgericht Osnabrück, HRB 18998
> Geschäftsführer Frank Koormann, Bernhard Reiter, Dr. Jan-Oliver Wagner

Tel.   : +49 40 432 72335                           Bundesstrasse 29
Fax    : +49 40 432 70855                            D-20146 Hamburg