[Kolab-devel] Server 2.2.0b2 release doc remarks

Thomas Arendsen Hein thomas at intevation.de
Thu Oct 25 18:25:33 CEST 2007

* Bernhard Reiter <bernhard at intevation.de> [20071024 10:24]:
> While in the train back and forth to Munich,
> I looked at some of the server 2.2.0-beta2 documents.
> Here are my remarks:
>
> release-notes.txt release-notes.txt,v 1.160 2007/10/19
> * Should be longer and contain the previous release notes as well.

I already removed the history before 2.1.0, but I really want to
have the full history since creation of the 2.2 branch.

> * Should mention that Horde might create load on the server
>   which makes it recommendable to use a second server for this.

In this case there should be an install option for only Horde
without the other Kolab server components, which is currently not
possible out of the box.

> 1st.README      README.1st,v 1.63 2007/10/19
> * it is a "beta" not a "development snapshot" anymore.

This is a development snapshot which received a bit of QA and
therefore can be called beta. But ok, I just removed that from
README.1st in CVS.

> * Why 2 GB free space?

Because if you do an install from source with Horde, /kolab will
already use nearly 1GB. You will probably need a bit of disk space
for logs and emails when evaluating Kolab. For production you will
probably use a separate /kolab/var and /kolab/var/imapd/spool
directory, but then you might still want to keep /kolab/RPM/PKG
including packages for security upgrades or minor releases.

> * unclear about how the -i option works when there is a cdrom,
>         the example shold be better.

Can anyone provide one which isn't too long?
/media/cdrom/kolab-server/install-kolab.sh -H -F -i /media/cdrom/kolab-server

> install-kolab.sh
> * missed information about authors, version and license

Added to install-kolab.sh and cvs-kolab.sh (Gunnar, please verify)

> * probably should be 2.2.0-beta2 instead of
>                 Kolab version (KOLAB_VERSION):      2.2-beta2

Of course the release will be called 2.2.0.

To make OpenPKG's RPM happy we had the possibility to use:
2.1.99-beta2
2.2-beta2
2.2.0-beta2 with using the Epoch statement

PHP/PEAR added further restrictions to what version numbering
schemes we can use.

There is a bit of discussion about that on this list.

> * ignoring unknown options is bad style, at least issue a warning
>         the script has
>               *) # Unknown Option

Fixed.

Of course, as I wrote in the README:
| Instructions for upgrading from Kolab server 2.0 or 2.1 will be added
| in a future version of this document.

Thomas

--
thomas at intevation.de - http://intevation.de/~thomas/ - OpenPGP key: 0x5816791A
Intevation GmbH, Osnabrueck - Register: Amtsgericht Osnabrueck, HR B 18998