[Kolab-devel] Should we switch to one big bloated kolab package?

Thomas Arendsen Hein thomas at intevation.de
Wed Oct 17 12:43:17 CEST 2007

* Gunnar Wrobel <wrobel at pardus.de> [20071017 10:46]:
> The drawback of this is that we would have one big package (and I mean
> BIG!) that installs perl stuff, php stuff, webapps, templates in one
> go. It would contain perl-kolab, php-kolab, kolab-filter,
> kolab-freebusy, kolabconf, kolab-webadmin, kolabd, pear/*, and
> horde/*. Of course the Horde stuff would be optional using the
> "with_horde" flag.
>
> I guess anyone that does packaging might consider this insane. At
> least the Gentoo developer part inside me is screaming "Sin! Sin!
> Sin!" :) But I nevertheless believe that the advantages really
> outweigh the disadvantage of having this one bloated package.
>
> This would of course mean no disadvantage to the native
> installations. In fact this would require to distribute source
> packages only. And you can bet that you'll always have twenty packages
> for Kolab2/Gentoo even if there is only one for Kolab2/OpenPKG ;)

One big package means that you can't repleace parts of the server,
e.g. to just upgrade the horde components on a server otherwise
running a constant kolab version, or just the web admin interface to
get updated translations, or just deinstall the web admin interface
to use your own solution (or have the web interface or horde only
available on one of many servers).

Thomas

--
thomas at intevation.de - http://intevation.de/~thomas/ - OpenPGP key: 0x5816791A
Intevation GmbH, Osnabrueck - Register: Amtsgericht Osnabrueck, HR B 18998