[Kolab-devel] Horde preferences: LDAP, IMAP or other?

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Fri Oct 12 15:58:42 CEST 2007

Bernhard Reiter <bernhard at intevation.de> writes:

> On Monday 08 October 2007 17:03, Alain Spineux wrote:
>>  - horde is not kolab server, horde is only a client, hode limitation
>> will not limit kolab server.
>>  - This can be improved later without any chnage for the user.
>
> This is hard to decide.
> Before saving the preferences in IMAP somehow and this way inventing
> a new way of saving client data, I think we should use an
> intermediate solution which can then be transfered to all clients.
>
> Currently the clients save their configuration locally.
> This would be fine for Horde so far as well.

Horde does not have a preferences driver that saves the configuration
locally at the moment. It currently uses the LDAP driver.

> If I understand Gunnar correctly there are already three drivers:
> a) LDAP
> b) (new) IMAP
> c) MySQL
>
> and c) is still needed for some Horde stuff.

c), the MySQL preferences driver, has nothing to do with other sub
systems in Horde. These systems in Horde are completely separated and
for each sub system you can decide among the different drivers
offers. Nothing prevents you from storing your Preference in LDAP,
your Tasks in an SQL database and you calendars in an Kolab IMAP
folder. Horde is really modular and for each module you can choose
between the drivers available.

So if I mentioned that a MySQL driver is still need for some of the
Horde modules, then this means that there is no alternative driver
available.

This is the case for sub subsystems like the Horde History module, the
Horde Permission system and the Horde SyncML support and also
applications like trean, ansel, agora, hermes etc.

> I believe c) can be the intermediate solution and I would love if this
> would be done with sqlite for the time being. In this light Martin's
> suggestion is quite attractive, it would make this solution more depend on
> a server though which is a drawback, if we want to keep it consistent
> and have the preferences be locally on the machine running Horde.
>
> This would de-couple us form the question of:
> How and where to we save general client and user preferences?
>
> Bernhard
>
> --
> Managing Director - Owner: www.intevation.net       (Free Software Company)
> Germany Coordinator: fsfeurope.org. Coordinator: www.Kolab-Konsortium.com.
> Intevation GmbH, Osnabrück, DE; Amtsgericht Osnabrück, HRB 18998
> Geschäftsführer Frank Koormann, Bernhard Reiter, Dr. Jan-Oliver Wagner

Tel.   : +49 40 432 72335                           Bundesstrasse 29
Fax    : +49 40 432 70855                            D-20146 Hamburg