[Kolab-devel] First Kolab release including Horde approaching

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Fri Oct 5 15:02:27 CEST 2007

Hi!

We are currently planning to release the next Kolab server beta
(2.2-beta2) at the end of next week. This is the first Kolab server
release that will include the Horde web groupware client.

I'd like to ask anyone interested in getting this first release as
stable as possible to pre-test the Horde installation if somehow
possible.

There are two things you can do in order to test Horde together with
Kolab right now:

1) Install Kolab CVS

We added a new installation script that allows you to quickly create a
Kolab CVS development setup. All you need to do is grab an empty Linux
box and run:

wget "http://kolab.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs-kolab.cgi/*checkout*/server/cvs-kolab.sh?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/plain" -O cvs-kolab.sh
chmod u+x cvs-kolab.sh
./cvs-kolab.sh -i -F -H

This will take ages but should give you the latest CVS version... at
least in theory. If there are problems with that we'd like
to know :)

If it works fine it should give you a preview of the beta2 version
including the Horde client.

2) Install Horde in an external web server

Horde is a complex web application. As such it will also consume some
horse power of your server. Many people will probably prefer
installing Horde on an external web server rather than directly
integrating it on the main Kolab server.

We also provide instruction (and an installer) for this option. The
necessary instructions are here:

http://wiki.kolab.org/index.php/Kolab2_Installation_-_Horde

And the installation script can be run like this:

wget http://kolab.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs-kolab.cgi/*checkout*/server/horde/external-horde.sh
sh external-horde.sh

Please make sure you checked the necessary prerequisites for this on
the wiki page.

I just wrote/hacked this stuff so there are of course no guarantees,
no safeguards and you can expext a bumpy ride if you test this. But it
would certainly help in getting the best possible beta2 release. So
thanks to anyone trying and reporting back.

Cheers,

Gunnar

Tel.   : +49 40 432 72335                           Bundesstrasse 29
Fax    : +49 40 432 70855                            D-20146 Hamburg